The aim of this study by Routa et al. from LUKE was to examine how intensified silviculture affects timber production and its economic profitability based on forest ecosystem model simulations. The study was conducted on Norway spruce and Scots pine stands located on medium-fertile upland forest sites under middle boreal conditions in Finland, under current climate and minor climate change.
Read about the results in their publication, which is now available open access:
Sustainably managed forests provide renewable raw material that can be used for primary/secondary conversion products and as biomass for energy generation.
Tuomasjukka et al from EFI evaluated the economic, environmental and social sustainability impacts of making the potentially available timber available with current and technologically improved value chains.
Their publication ‘Sustainability impacts of increased forest biomass feedstock supply – a comparative assessment of technological solutions’ in the International Journal of Forest Engineering is now available open access:
Ponsse 8-wheeler Wisent forwarder loading during thinning operations in Joensuu, Finland
What is TECH4EFFECT about? Use data and technolog to grow and harvest more wood, with less environmental impact, safer for workers and cheaper!
The BBI JU Stakeholder forum in Brussels is a one-day event to bring together stakeholders from the bioeconomy and present all 65 ongoing BBI JU projects, including TECH4EFFECT. Register to meet our coordinator Rasmus Astrup (NIBIO):
The program incluedes plenary sessions with keynote speeches, but also thematic breakout sessions on the following topics:
- The role of the primary sector in building bio-based industries
- Industrial innovation – defining the direction for science-based innovation
- The value for Europe’s citizens – aligning economic & societal expectations & needs
- New markets, new sectors, new products
Have a look at the full programme!
Stakeholder feedback collected during this event will help to shape BBI JU’s future role in the bioeconomy!
- Towards Zero Pollution: TECH4EFFECT will present at the RTDS Green Week Partner Event on 8 June: 10:10 – 12:30.10. May 2021 - 16:18
- TECH4EFFECT Co-ordinator, Rasmus Astrup, presented at EUBCE event.19. April 2021 - 15:17
- 30 June – 3 July 2021, KWF-Tagung, Schwarzenborn/ Germany1. March 2021 - 9:26
- 22-24 September 2020, Forest Operations for the Future Conference, Helsingør25. May 2020 - 13:00