The 52 edition of the symposium ‘Forestry Mechanization’ or FORMEC will be held together with the 42 edition of the Council on Forest Engineering (COFE). This year TECH4EFFECT has its’ own session at FORMEC! Also this is the first time for a COFE meeting taking place in Europe – in Sopron, Hungary. Join also the field trip to Forchtenstein in Austria to attend AUSTROFOMA, the only Austrian forestry machine and device demonstration where all the machines on display are shown performing real-life tasks.
The TECH4EFFECT session on Monday, 7th October starts at 10:30 in Room1 and includes the following presentations:
- Productivity and fuel consumption of heavy forwarders under different configurations: benchmarks from fleet-level long-term records (one million loads). Raffaele Spinelli, Angelo Conrado de Arruda Moura (A-0071)
- Productivity and Environmental Impacts of Cable-assisted Logging – A case study in southern Oregon, USA. Woodam Chung, Brett Morrissette, Preston Green, Ben Leshchinsky, Kevin Bladon, Jeff Hatten, John Sessions (A-0117)
- A micro-catchment approach to measuring surface run-off after cable logging. Bruce Talbot, Omar Mologni, Nicholas Clarke, Marek Pierzchala, Rasmus Astrup (A-0152)
- Assessing Cable Tensile Forces of Winch-Assisted Forwarders on Steep Terrain under Real Working Conditions. Thomas Holzfeind, Christian Kanzian, Karl Stampfer, Franz Holzleitner (A-0061)
- Factors Affecting Productivity and Utilisation of Winch-Assist Machines: Six Case Studies in New Zealand and Canada. Cameron Leslie, Colin Koszman, James Hunt, Rien Visser, Hunter Harrill, Dominik Roeser (A-0115)
- Flat and wet: Cable yarding on sensitive soils in Europe – motivations, challenges and potential. Gernot Erber, Raffaele Spinelli, Giovanna Ottaviani Aalmo, Dirk Jaeger, Marian Schönauer, Stephan Hoffmann, Bruce Talbot, Karl Stampfer (A-0054)
Don’t miss the keynote from our coordinator Rasmus Astrup on Tuesday morngin:
A-0193 Digitalization of forest harvesting: the potential for improved environmental and production efficiency; Rasmus Astrup, Room 1, 8:00.
Several posters are also based on TECH4EFFECT:
- A-0021: Smart sensing technology for predicting forest road’s bearing capacity (Franz Holzleitner et al.)
- A-0098: Indicator based assessment of trafficability of forest roads (Marian Schönauer et al.)
Coppice after 3 different cutting systems: growth capacity and mortality (Carolina Lombardini et al.)
‘Vision 2040: The future role of the forest bioeconomy in Europe’ is the focus of this conference on the 20th of November 2018 in Vienna. Don’t miss this chance discuss the future of forests and their role in the bioeconomy and meet Gernot Erber from BOKU and Daniela Fichtenbauer from RTDS. Participation is free of charge but the number of seats is limited!
Check the full program!
The FTP conference 2018 is an event of the Austrian EU presidency, organised by the Forest-based Sector Technology Platform.
This years yearly FORMEC (Forestry Mechanization) meeting takes place in Madrid, Spain, from 25 – 27 September 2018. Register to meet serveral TECH4EFFECT partners:
- Bruce Talbot from NIBIO in Session A1: The TECH4EFFECT Efficiency Portal: architecture, challenges, and preliminary outcomes of an ambitious benchmarking system (25.09; 15:00 in Room F1)
- Johanna Routa from LUKE in Session B1: Productivity and cost-efficiency of mechanizing tending with Cutlink device in spruce seedling stands (26.09; 10:10 in Room F1)
- Bruce Talbot and Rasmus Astrup from NIBIO in Session B3: Developments in post-harvest site assessments and their potential for improving operational and environmental performance (26.09; 8:30 in Room M0)
- Gernot Erber from BOKU in Session D1: First accuracy test of a novel mobile device based application for value-optimized bucking in motor-manual harvesting operations (26.09; 15:10 in Room F1)
- Robert Prinz from LUKE: Manipulating work setting to reduce fuel consumption in CTL timber harvesting machines (26.09; 14:50 in Room D3). Download the presentation here!
Have a look at the full program for details!
UPDATE: FORMEC proceedings now available: https://www.formec.org/proceedings.html
The Council on Forest Engineering (COFE) meets this year in Williamsburg (VA, USA). CNR will present the TECH4EFFECt project poster at this conference.
Have a look at the conference website for details and to register!
The 6th International Forest Engineering Conference (FEC) takes place in Rotorua, New Zealand, bringing together researchers and practitioners. It includes workshops, technical sessions and a field trip and show-cases local forest and equpment developments.
TECH4EFFECT will show a strong presence at this important meeting:
- Thursday 19th April, 10:40 Session 4B – Vision and trends Diana Tuomasjukka (EFI) talks about ‘Opportunities and challenges towards a forest-based bio-economy in the EU: what are the environmental and socio-economic impacts of increased biomass harvesting at EU level?’
- CNR-IVALSA presents our TECH4EFFECT project poster which will be displayed during the whole meeting
- Meet also Karl Stampfer (BOKU) in Session 1A talking about steep terrain harvesting, Raffaele Spinelli (CNR-IVALSA) in Session 2A on productivity benchmarking in grapple yarding and Johanna Routa (LUKE) in Session 3A on dry matter losses.
For details check out the conference website: http://www.foresteng.canterbury.ac.nz/FEC2018.shtml or have a look at the final program.
The final conference of SIMWOOD – Solutions for Wood Mobilisation in Europe will take place in Paris from 12-13 October 2017. Read more
- 19-22 February 2020, Progetto Fuoco fair, Verona, Italy11. November 2019 - 14:25
- 26-27 October 2019, Forestalia, Piacenza, Italy20. August 2019 - 17:23
- 6 – 9 October 2019, FORMEC – COFE, Sopron, Hungary – with TECH4EFFECT session13. February 2019 - 13:58
- IUFRO29 September – 5 October 2019, IUFRO, Curitiba, Brazil13. February 2019 - 13:45