Soili Haikarainen, Saija Huuskonen and Johanna Routa from the Natural Resources Institute (Luke), Finland, examine the benefits of carrying out juvenile stand management practices to secure the stand’s future, based on a recent research paper published in Forests.
Tag Archive for: coppice
Key TECH4EFFECT report is released involving 20 partners from science and industry pointing to alternative managerial solutions, knowledge to tackle climate change challenges.
This year marks the 52th edition of the symposium ‘Forestry Mechanization’ or FORMEC as it is more commonly know which was held together with the 42th edition of the Council on Forest Engineering (COFE) in Sopron, Hungary from October 6th to 9th.
This year TECH4EFFECT had its’ own session which was held on Monday October 7th. It included following presentations:
- “Productivity and fuel consumption of heavy forwarders under different configurations: benchmarks from fleet-level long-term records (one million loads)” by Raffaele Spinelli and Angelo Conrado de Arruda Moura.
- “Productivity and Environmental Impacts of Cable-assisted Logging – A case study in southern Oregon, USA” by Woodam Chung, Brett Morrissette, Preston Gren, Ben Leshchinsky, Kevin Bladon, Jeff Hatten and John Sessions.
- “A micro-catchment approach to measuring surface run-off after cable logging” by Bruce Talbot, Omar Mologni, Nicholas Clarke, Marek Pierzchala and Rasmus Astrup.
- “Assessing Cable Tensile Forces of Winch-Assisted Forwarders on Steep Terrain under Real Working Conditions” by Thomas Holzfeind, Christian Kanzian, Karl Stampfer and Franz Holzleitner.
- “Factors Affecting Productivity and Utilisation of Winch-Assist Machines: Six Case Studies in New Zealand and Canada” by Cameron Leslie, Colin Koszman, James Hunt, Rien Visser, Hunter Harrill and Dominik Roeser.
- “Flat and wet: Cable yarding on sensitive soils in Europe – motivations, challenges and potential” by Gernot Erber, Raffaele Spinelli, Giovanna Ottaviani Aalmo, Dirk Jaeger, Marian Schönauer, Stephan Hoffmann, Bruce Talbot and Karl Stampfer.
On Tuesday October 8th our coordinator Rasmus Astrup/NIBIO held a keynote on the “Digitalization of Forest Harvesting: The potential for improved environmental and production efficiency”.
Several posters on TECH4EFFECT were also presented on:
- “Smart sensing technology for predicting forest road’s bearing capacity by Franz Holzleitner et al.
- “Indicator based assessment of trafficability of forest roads” by Marian Schönauer et al.
“Coppice after 3 different cutting systems: growth capacity and mortality” by Carolina Lombardini et al.
See the posters in this e-poster presentation!
It could not have been any better for TECH4EFFECT this year as 3 prizes were awarded to the consortium! What a great achievement – congratulations to
- Markus Konrad (second person from the left) received an operator award by COFE,
- Thomas Holzfeind received a student communication award and
- Marian Schönauer received a poster award.
- TECH4EFFECT final event highlights research impacts, provides informed dialogue on forest operations19. July 2021 - 12:25
- Towards Zero Pollution: TECH4EFFECT presented at the RTDS Green Week Partner Event on 8 June: 10:10 – 12:30.10. May 2021 - 16:18
- TECH4EFFECT Co-ordinator, Rasmus Astrup, presented at EUBCE event19. April 2021 - 15:17
- TECH4EFFECT presents drone mapping, T-winch at Norwegian Ministerial event14. October 2020 - 9:15