The project focuses on increasing access to wood resources through data and knowledge based forest management. Better understanding of the business models governing the procurement of forest operations services is also in the focus of TECH4EFFECT. The project further considers increasing efficiency in forest harvesting and collection, and the reduction of soil impact from forest operations, and puts forward ways of making this a measurable and integrated part of operational efficiency.
TECH4EFFECT is built around five fundamental concepts with associated approaches, designed to enable concept realization:
- Concept 1: The next leap in efficiency gains in European Forest management will come through knowledge-based management and informed business processes
- Concept 2: Environmental performance must become an integral part of normal performance evaluation
- Concept 3: The bioeconomy is dependent on increased growth to meet the demands on volumes and sustainability in production
- Concept 4: Forest harvesting and collection is the most cost and fuel intensive part of forest management and efficiency improvements here offer the most leverage in terms of improving economic accessibility to larger volumes of wood.
- Concept 5: Improved efficiency in forest management will result in an overall improvement of the environmental and socio-economic performance of the full value chain